Monthly Archives: May 2016

The learning curve

I like to think I have always been relatively good at learning.  Three degrees, including a masters, probably confirms that.  Structured learning, however, is a whole lot easier than just generally educating yourself.

For me, what has been fascinating about my treatment is that a lot of it is left wholly up to me as the patient.  Sure, my medical team have devised a ‘treatment plan’ for me, but that really only goes as far as medicine.  It is not holistic in any sense.  There’s no meaningful discussion about diet, exercise, supplements, how my current treatment may impact my body in the long run and what I can be doing to put myself in the best position possible going forward.  Should I be surprised? Probably not. But should there be an avenue for holistic treatment, probably.

Rant over.

The reason I started thinking about holistic treatment is that it has occurred to me that if I’m not careful, my bone density could become a real problem for me in years to come. Particularly because I currently have no oestrogen swimming around my body, I’m practically a menopausal woman at 32.  Fun?  No chance.  I have a new found respect for all the woman who have suffered hot flashes.  Bloody hell, the hot sweats are out of control.  The joke is on me though for years of laughing at my Mum suffer through hot flashes (sorry Mum!).  But really, the hot flashes are just a reminder of the huge impact treatment is having on my body and how vigilant I personally have to be to make sure I’m doing everything I can to combat the (side) effects of all the wonderful drugs being used to smack the cancer.

So I have started reading about what I can do to keep my bones healthy.  Eating well, doing at least half an hour of exercise (preferably weight bearing exercise, including walking) everyday, getting enough vitamin d, cutting down on caffeine/ alcohol/ salt and increasing calcium can all help.  Is it enough?  Who knows.  My oncologist is only treating my cancer, not the rest of my life.  So, it’s probably time to get to the naturopath.  Then take the naturopath’s wisdom back to the oncologist to double check everything.  Never. ending. learning.  And no one stop shop to make it all easier.

IMG_1690

On one of many walks…

Apologies for my ranting.  I’ve also been hit by a cold in the last week.  On top of everything, the cold is no fun.  But I’m carrying on.  As always.  One day, one step and one daily walk at a time.

Get outside this weekend and enjoy nature.  Go for a walk.  It’ll be good for you!

Krissy xx

Speechless

For the first time in my life, I’ve not really had much to say for the last few weeks and I haven’t been able to think of a worthy blog post.  You see, we lost a little angel in our family at the end of April and that has really consumed us all.

But in the end the thing that has really struck me in such difficult weeks is that life goes on.  The sun rises and sets, there’s shopping and cleaning to be done, arrangements which need to be made, cooking, doctors appointments, chemo sessions to attend (half way now, hooray!).

I guess the key to profoundly sad and difficult times is to find little bits of happiness and joy as you go about every day.

And that is really all I have to say for now.  My words will come back, eventually.  And then I’ll write again.

Until then, happy Friday.  I hope you have something wonderful planned for the weekend.

Krissy xx