Fa la la la la la la la la!

As I was drinking my morning coffee I realised that it has been over a month since my last blog post and one month since I started back at work.  The idea behind returning to work just before Christmas was that I would get to ease myself back in and then get a little break over Christmas before resuming in the new year.  What I didn’t factor in was all the extra things on at this time of year.  Ordinarily there’d be so many fun and festive things happening in any event, but this year, we’ve also had the big ‘Goodbye Golden Locks’ fundraiser and my little sister’s admission to throw into the mix.  And with everything that’s been going on, the only real word for the last month has been ‘busy’.  And that is not a word I like to use often anymore… So let me break down the last month for you:

  • 0 – blog posts written (until now).  Work has consumed all my mental capacity!
  • 1 – visit to the Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research for a tour of the facility and meeting with researchers;
  • 1.5 – glasses of champagne drunk (some serious restraint has been exercised!);
  • 2 – sessions with my new Pinc & Steel physio, Charlene Duncan;
  • 3 – Christmas parties attended.  Two for work and one Nanson St Christmas party;
  • 4 – sessions with my ex-phys and four pilates sessions;
  • 9 – Christmas cakes baked for family and friends;
  • 13 – days worked;
  • 16 – the date in December that I got to move my little sister’s admission at the Supreme Court of Western Australia;
  • 17 – the date of my big sister’s birthday;
  • 30 – the number of tamoxifen tablets, magnesium/ calcium/ vitamin c supplements that I take daily;
  • 70 – cupcakes baked for the Goodbye Golden Locks fundraiser;
  • 75 – people that attended Goodbye Golden Locks;
  • 200 – gingerbread men baked to raise money for the Perth Children’s hospital (at the Nanson St Christmas Party);
  • 18,000 – the number of dollars raised for Perkins by the Goodbye Golden Locks fundraiser.  Huge thanks to everyone for your support and generosity and a special shout out to Fiona, who is now rocking a buzz cut!  You can read about the day here.

On reflection, what the last month has really meant is that my life is returning to some sort of normal.  My energy is slowly coming back (even if I still have to be in bed by 9.30pm most nights) and I am ever so slowly getting back in to the swing of things at work.  It wouldn’t be my life if there wasn’t lots of other things going on.  Working part time has been wonderful because I have had time to fit in all the other things.  In my past life, I would have shoved them in to a few hours over the weekend and ended up triply exhausted by Christmas.  Of course the challenge for me is always going to be to try and not take on too much.  A lesson I have had to learn, but one which is difficult to adhere to… although my body does a pretty good job these days of stopping me in my tracks when take on too much.

So with five days left until Christmas, more than anything, I am feeling pretty emotional and very grateful.  My emotions catch up with me fairly frequently these days, but that is ok.  I have gotten through the year and for that I am eternally grateful.  I thank God daily for giving me the strength and courage to get through this difficult year.

Now it’s time to get ready for Christmas and the new year.  Just a little more baking to do and a few salads to be made before Christmas.  The presents are (mostly) wrapped and the tree is decorated.

Before signing off, I want to wish everyone a very merry and blessed Christmas.  This really is a wonderful time of year.  I hope you take time out to enjoy Christmas with your family and friends.  Don’t get grouchy with shoppers, lose your mind in the traffic or get grumpy with your family when it all gets a bit much.  Just count your blessings – they are many and we often forget them.  Enjoy the festivities, over indulge, get in some exercise, tell the people around you that you love them and celebrate life!  Merry Christmas – may your days over the festive season be merry and bright!

Sending lots of Christmas love,
Krissy xx

3 thoughts on “Fa la la la la la la la la!

Leave a Reply

WordPress.com Logo

Twitter picture

Facebook photo